Following Their Lead::

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Today we were able to get outside and take a walk. It is sunny, in the upper 40's and absolutely beautiful. It was so nice to be able to walk our usual little route and see all there is to see out there today. I would have loved to get in a solo walk, a brisk walk for exercise but that's not going to happen today anyway.
A few times I caught myself telling the kids to "Come on" so we could keep moving and when one of them asked me why I realized there was no hurry, we had all day. So I decided to let go of the idea of our walk today being about anything other than enjoying some time outside together.  Following the kid's lead is slower, yes, but we see so much more. Pine cones, pennies, leaves, puddles, bird nests, broken glass...all of it. I could see just how happy being outside made them too, they were excited about every little thing and stuffed their pockets full of so many treasures. So many lessons to learn from our children and a very important one for me today:
Slow down and enjoy all these little moments...
There really is no hurry at all.
 

5 comments:

  1. That is a very important lesson, indeed. And sometimes a hard one to listen to. Looks like y'all had a lovely day outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm VERY guilty of this. I feel as if I'm always rushing. Always moving. It's somewhat in my nature. But I DO need to slow down and see things from another perspective. Namely, my two little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's the best! I often have to tell myself to slow down with my girls as well. It's a lesson that takes a bit of time to really set in but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Amy! I'm guilty of this, too...wanting to say hurry up...but for what? I do try to bite my tongue and enjoy the little moments. Life is so much sweeter that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one :) It is something I really need to work on, most importantly with the kids.

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment...you know you wanna.