Muffins For Haiti::

Monday, January 18, 2010

This morning, Wyatt (5 years old),  walked in the room while I was watching CNN and saw on tv a little of what was going on in Haiti. I did my best to explain what was going on there without scaring or confusing him. The specific clip he saw was of a helicopter landing and boxes of food and water being unloaded with huge crowds of people waiting in the background. He had a lot of questions and when I told him people there had little to no food and water he asked if we could send food. I told him that we could not actually send food and tried to explain to him about donating money to help buy supplies. He said again that he really wanted to send food so the people whose "houses and city were smashed could have food to eat."
Since donating and giving money is such an abstract idea for young children to comprehend, we came up with a plan. For the next week or so we are going to bake muffins (which we do weekly anyway) and sell them to our friends and family to raise money. 100% of the money we make will go to a relief organization yet to be decided.
I realize that I will be doing most of the work here, and that I might be completely crazy, but the kids are excited and we are going to get started tomorrow.
My hope is that all of us will learn something important through this endeavor and that my own children will learn the importance of helping others and that there really is something we can all do, no matter how small it may be.



Wish us luck!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

leave me a comment...you know you wanna.