Little Miss Attitude::

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

                             {You thought this was going to be a post about the little one, didn't you?}
        "Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching?"
I saw this quote yesterday and I sware it was a sign, meant just for me. Sent from somewhere out  there in the great big Universe for me to stumble across in blog-land. Seriously. I have found myself many times lately telling the kids (one in particular) that I don't like their attitude. Hmmm...I wonder if they always like mine? What kind of example am I setting for them? I know that as the mom I set the tone for the day, my attitude affects their attitude...of course it does. And I know I could do better. I don't beat myself up over these things though. I make mistakes, I have bad days, good days and even some great days. Sometimes I think; "Damn, I've got this mothering thing down. Look at me." And then there are the days that the funk I am in brings them down and I would like to just push STOP, have all of us go to bed and start over...immediately. New day. Fresh start. And I am truly so grateful that we get one of those every. single. day.
 Today I am making a conscious effort to be more patient with the kids, not to let all the little annoyances of daily life get the best of me and to be more positive. Deep breaths. And I welcome any and all advice or pointers on this subject. Like many people, this is a constant struggle for me. Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, this was such a lovely read. It really is amazing the power attitude holds over or gives us. I'm one to give a huge AMEN to all that you said :)It starts with us.
    (and I've been known to get mad with my Fynn for telling me "mommy, you're not being nice" but usually when he says that, he's right. Interesting... ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that dandelion picture!
    Gosh...not sure if mine would take it so well.
    Your post? Soooo true.
    And even as a sister, I completely identify with having those crappy days where you're like... "Um, I'm awful, this day's awful, and we NEED to start over. Like now."
    So glad for every new day.
    Yep, I'm having a pretty good week! ;) Glad you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. While school is in session I often find my patience is in short supply. I mean, I've used it all up with my 24 kindergartners by 3:00!

    That is why I cherish my summer. I can give my kids all that they deserve to be given every day...

    As for the present? I try to set the tone of the day in the morning by putting on some music and playing it really loud. We have a song, "This Year" by The Mountain Goats that we will sing at the top of our lungs. That and anything by the Avett Brothers. I find it lightens the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had some magic advice to give you. Patience is a struggle for me most days, too. I've also been struggling to have a positive attitude about certain things- namely my job. But I couldn't agree more, it's all in the attitude you choose to have. It's just that sometimes, it's REALLY hard to choose the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    I love that quote...I need it hanging some where in my kitchen! :)
    What a great post and Ohhhhh so relevant to probably most of us out there! We do set the tone for the day and goodness gracious that is a whole lot of pressure! Sometimes I think "Why can't I just have my own bad day...alone!? Why does everyone have to join in?" :) I think you are doing a great job of noticing it, wanting to "do better" and moving on with a fresh new attitude today! Deep breaths always work for me too!! I just bought a sign that I have on my fireplace "Enjoy the little things in life. For someday you will realize they were the big things!" I usually try to read that several times a day during those deep breaths! ;)
    Enjoy your patience filled day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Amy! But I cannot offer any guidance...this is a CONSTANT struggle for me as well. But I do try to be mindful of this, just like you, and I think that at the end of the day, we do the best we can. And that is what makes us great mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my 3 have been doing a whole lot of fighting lately & i can't blame it on the time change anymore(dang)! i have had the same reflections of late & so I am working on what attitude i project to my kiddos! i am going to follow you~would love it if you checked out my blog, as well! {found you via your comment @ little fists}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patience is hard. I have a very hard time with it. Great post though...it is half the battle just to be conscience of it.

    PS Don't you just LOVE those ruffle Target leggings? We have them in yellow (and every other color) too. So cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - thanks for popping over - Your post could have been written for me!
    - I'm always starting over. Love your photos - nice to meet you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! Good words of advice for all of us!! Especially when we know the little children in our lives are watching us...:)

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment...you know you wanna.