Keeping It Real:: Part 2

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Last week I talked about an email I got from a stay-at-home mom of three young kids (you can read that post here ) and I said I would answer more on her questions, comments later, so here I am. I don't feel like I am in a position to be giving advice to anyone but I will share my personal thoughts on one thing that she said she was really having a hard time with, which was finding time to herself.  I believe her children are all under five years old with the youngest being under one, obviously I have no experience there.....and even if I did, every person and family is different and everyone has to find something that works for them.
      *    *    *     *     *    *
I try to get out, either with friends or alone, as much as possible, it is essential to my mental health. I  have hobbies and interests outside of my family/husband that are important to me and spending time doing these things make me happy. I have a very supportive husband that understands that I need time away to do things independently and encourages me to do so. I don't feel bad or guilty about needing time to myself and I try not to make him feel that way either. I try to get out and do things regularly, catch a movie with a friend during the week, have a whole evening out with the girls, go antiquing by myself for a few hours on the weekend, etc., I don't mean all in the same week or even every week it depends week to week. When I am able to do things like this regularly as opposed to waiting until I am really stressed out and am feeling desperately in need of some time away, I feel much better on a daily basis.  Sometimes all it takes is an hour walk, a long drive with my camera or a cup of coffee or a trip to the gym (ha-we'll discuss that later) to feel refreshed and in a better state of mind. I have learned that my happiness, stress level and state of mind affects my whole family so I need to take care of it and be proactive about it. For me, things are much better on the mental health front than the physical health front...that is where I need help. One of my major goals for 2010. If anyone else has anything you would like to share about finding time for yourself, please share it with me, I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you here and I definitely need to find more time to myself. It has been sparse {and I mean sparse} these days. You write so beautifully, Amy!

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment...you know you wanna.